Thursday, June 20, 2013

Monster in the pantry

Not looking forward to upcoming family visit in Alaska. I'm still getting a hold of my allergies, figuring out what will set them off. I had minor reactions three times to stuff yesterday, including chocolate stuff I'd made a couple of weeks ago that was apparently cross-contaminated. It also happened when I used the microwave right after a kid cooked a breaded chicken patty with flour and I microwaved my cup of water for tea.

Apparently, even gluten tainted air is dangerous. I'd feel like a total looser, but I read about a lady who can't walk by a Starbucks without reacting because of the all the milk in the air. I have the same trouble when someone opens a packet of instant oatmeal near me.

Today I'm tired. When I think about traveling by plane, then attempting to avoid gluten in my extended family's kitchen, I want to go back to bed.

Instead, I'm putting on a pot of bean soup and taking a shower. Quitting is not an option, but resting is. Also, I have hope these reactions will calm down over time. Six months from now, things could be very different.

If I could go back and rethink the allergy "reduction" shots that made me this sensitive? I was sick before I ever started them. Now I know that milk and gluten were causing my asthma, I am better. It's avoiding monster lurking in the pantry that's the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment