Monday, June 17, 2013

Italian Waffle Sandwhich

I bought Cooking for Isaiah by Silvia Nardone and it was worth it for the waffle bread alone. Mind you, I feel strongly that bread should be bread, not waffles, but one look at these and I had to try it. Sandwich heaven! She uses oil packed sun dried tomatoes, but I didn't have any, so I tweaked.

Italian Waffle Sandwich

1 c GF flour mix
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk of choice
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp sun dried tomato, ground in coffee mill
1/8 tsp pepper
-dash garlic powder, onion, optional

1. Mix dry stuff. Mix wet stuff. Combine. Cook in a waffle iron. Pile with any delicious sandwich filling. Enjoy!

Ideas: Wrap around a hot dog or brat and pile with toppings. Grill cheese! Reuben, burger, pulled pork...

My eldest claimed his for lunch this morning. My daughter changed her mind at the last minute, but they were gone; she was stuck with a thermos of pork n beans and homemade GF pineapple doughnuts. Hardship, I know.

If she'd had her ducks in a row, we could have easily whipped up a batch. How nice; super fast sandwich bread for emergencies. I'd like to try caramelized onion bread, poppy seed, sesame...oh, the possibilities!

When I travel, I'm taking my waffle iron and a bag of GF flour. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment