Tuesday, June 18, 2013

GFCF Peanutbutter Pie

My family loves peanut butter pie, but it took me a while to figure out how to make it dairy free. Since soy is out, there was no substituting tofu for the cream cheese, which probably was for the best. The roux replaces the cream cheese as binder, while the lemon juice provides tang and the salt, savor.

Yes, you could substitute vinegar for the lemon. Yes, you could use a mild flour other than rice. I'm not the recipe Nazi; feel free to experiment. If you find a way to do this better, let me know! I'm not here to get rich, but to promote the science of GFCF cooking. I want people to get better at this, so that someday there are a ring of safe bakeries/eateries within 2 miles of my house.

Last night I asked where the pie went and was greeted by a chorus of, "Um..." I knew right then I wasn't seeing anymore of this gooey, thick, rich pie. You would never suspect there was no cream cheese in it, because it's every bit as tasty as the milk version and perfectly sliceable, yet lighter in calories.

No, I'm not going to find out the calorie count for you. This is not a weight loss blog, though I've managed to lose 10 lbs already without the gluten. I have so much more energy, I'm moving a great deal more, and it shows. That, and my body can process my food properly, turning it into fuel instead of fighting to digest my meals.


GFCF Peanut Butter Pie

crust: 1 c crushed GF Chex cereal
          2 tbsp peanut butter

filling: 1 c peanut butter
            1 c sugar
            1/2 c coconut creme, chilled
            1 1/2 tsp vanilla
             * roux

roux: 1/4 c rice flour
         1/8 tsp gelatin
         1/2 c milk of choice
         1 tsp lemon/lime juice
         dash salt

1. Cook roux in small pan until thick. Cool pan in bowl of cold water until well chilled.
2. Whirl crumbs in food processor with coconut oil. Pat into pie crust. Should be a bit loose and crumbly, because that's how I like it.
3. Wipe out food processor. Combine filling ingredients with roux and whirl until blended, stopping to scrap down the side a couple of times. The chilled roux and cream make the pie fluffier, so make sure they are cold. Working from the outside of the crust in, pour the filling over the crust. (This keeps the crumbs from shifting to the outside and giving you a thicker outside crust.)
4. Chill until set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment