Monday, June 17, 2013

Gluten free: It begins.

March 22: After a course of allergy reductions shots, I developed an epi-pen allergy to milk. Lips tingle, throat closes, tongue swells. As a result, I learned that milk cross contaminates nuts, dried fruit and all kinds of baked goods. After eating cross contaminated cranberries and enjoying a swollen tongue for a few hours, I scaled back to rice, meat and veggies until I could figure out what was safe to eat. Along the way I learned that my asthma and "seasonal" allergies were caused by gluten sensitivity. I now get a rash and itch when I ingest the tinest amount, as well as breathing trouble.

Strangely, I don't show a reaction to the skin prick test, but my doc says, "Absolutely no milk! Here's a prescription for epi-pens." I love this guy. The pens, not so much, but they've saved my bacon a few times.

Anyway, now I'm learning to cook gluten, milk and soy free, without guar or xanthan gum, which cause itchy eyes, kidney issues, etc. Pectin is my binder of choice and it's doing fabulous things for my skin. This is where I'll post my GF frustrations, victories and experiments.

Keep an eye out for the next post; things are about to get sticky.


No comments:

Post a Comment