Wednesday, September 24, 2014

From 2013: Sandwiches are back, baby! Gluten free binders test.

After 6 wks of no sandwiches, pancakes or waffles, I've finally mastered the GF version. There were a few bumps...

Saturday night, went to bed bummed and dreamed I was missing my wedding because I couldn't find my shoes. I'd made perfect pancakes, but reacted badly to guar gum, which I'd been using because I react badly to xanthan gum. By badly I mean itchy eyes, rampant thirty, hunger and kidney issues.

Sunday, woke determined to find a binder in my pantry that wasn't weird and tasted good. Behold:


The line up. Cornstarch, Guar gum (my control), Sure Jell pectin, flax seed, gelatin and chia seed.



Cornstarch and pectin.


Flax & gelatin.


Chia seed overload.


Gell Test:

Control: Guar Gum 1/4 tsp per 1 c water

Sure Jell: 1/2 tsp per 1 c water
Flax seed, ground: 1 tsp per c water
Knox gelatin: 3/4 tsp per 1 c water
Chia seed, ground: 1 tsp per 1 c water
Cornstarch: 2 tsp per 1 c HOT water, for slurry

Not tested, but have potential: GF flour mixes for slurry

Results:

Guar & Xanthan gum work great, but people use way too much. I found that 1/4 tsp per 3 1/2 c is plenty to mimic gluten without imparting odd taste or texture.

Cornstarch: tender, puffed well, slightly dry. Browned fine. Good in a pinch, test other flours such as rice to see if final product is moister, as I suspect they will be. Starch = dry? John rejected as too dry.

Gelatin: puffed well, most moist. Browned fine, but needed 1/4 c more water. Worth testing again, with less gelatin in mix. I liked but John rejected as weird texture.

Flax: faint flax taste, not unpleasant, browned more. Puffed well, had to add 1/4 c more water, so should test with less flax. John has a fear of flax, so I moved on.

Sure Jell: Test 1: Pancakes puffed more, bit tough (too much pectin). Thickened more after a couple minutes, but by then accidentally added more pectin. Browned darker than other samples. Test 2: Used 1/2 tsp per cup of water and got perfect results. Works in a dry mix, too. Our winner, and my hero.

Chia: Barely browned, had to use 2x as much water, as there was obviously too much chia. The resulting pancakes were flavorless, bread-like and pale, so we gave them to the dogs. Now I can laugh at GF bread recipes calling for tablespoons full of chia or flax. Comments often mention those breads are dry, especially the next day. You think? Do you realize how much water binding fiber those things have?

Flax & Cornstarch combo: had an odd, soapy taste. I didn't test many combos, but be aware that's a possibility.


My testing was somewhat cowboy, but I have limited energy and time, and I wanted something to EAT! If anyone else takes on this test, I'd love to hear about it.

*As a side note, all of these binders were successes in that that none of my samples was crumbly, and all had lift.

BTW, I had a reaction to MASECA cornflour, which I used in the test, so beware. Do your homework and make sure it's gluten free.

*I've used it since with no problem and it says gluten free on the label. Might have run afoul of another allergen that day. It does have a strong corny taste, though. Best in things like tamale pie topping.

Also, I got a skin test and reacted to oats. I recommend careful testing and possibly an allergy test to see if you're allergic to a given flour. Don't assume it's okay for you because it says gluten free.


My control pancake recipe:

Pancakes

1 c GF flour mix
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk of choice
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
(now with Sure Jell!)

1. Mix dry stuff. Mix wet stuff. Combine. Cook. Enjoy!


GF Flour Blend w Pectin

1 c rice flour
1 c corn
1 c sorghum
1/2 c cornstarch
2 tbps pea flour
Now with 1 tsp Sure Jell pectin!

No, I don't know if other brands work. Feel free to test and let me know.


GF Flour Blend w Guar Gum

1 c rice flour
1 c corn
1 c sorghum
1/2 c cornstarch
2 tbps pea flour
1/2 tsp guar or xanthan gum

For those who can handle the gums.



I dreamed of zombies last night, but that may have been a reflection of my exhaustion and not my cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment