Thursday, August 1, 2013

Homemade chocolate bars, dairy, soy, GF

Enjoy Life makes chocolate chunks, $5 for a 10 oz bag, not counting shipping. I think it's closer to $5.50 in my local store, but they are the only local brand of chocolate that's not cross contaminated with milk. Also, they contain cocoa, sugar and coconut oil, but no salt or vanilla.

Mine taste better and are cheaper, especially if you buy sugar and cocoa powder in bulk. I use Hershey's cocoa powder because they aren't contaminated with milk and I can buy it in bulk at my local warehouse store.



I put the label on the canister for quick refill instructions. I bought the candy mold at Walmart in the candy making section, because I like pretty stuff. Feel free to pour it into free form bars on wax paper.


These are fresh from the freezer, which I used to quickly firm them up. I store them in the fridge as a precaution, but they are probably shelf stable.


Semi-sweet Chocolate Bars

makes 4 cups

1 1/2 c cocoa
2 1/4 c powdered sugar
1 c coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

1. Mix the dry stuff. Stir in coconut oil, heat in microwave at 30 sec intervals, taking it out to stir each time. When it looks like melted chocolate, remove it, stir, pour into molds. Chill in fridge or freezer until solid. Unmold, store in fridge.

* Do not use granulated sugar unless you want a gritty chocolate bar. Sure, it will bake up fine in a cookie or whatever, but what if you want a nibble?

*Sure, you can use shortening if soy isn't a problem. It's your candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment